We have lots of space for new students in our free beginner and intermediate classes at Montrose Academy on Wednesday evenings 19.00-21.00, during term time. Free qualifications are available. Just come along on the night or contact Neil Paterson firstname.lastname@example.org
We are still recruiting for our Battlefields Trip! Get in touch if you are interested in joining us.
Montrose Academy is running its fourth Battlefields trip on 28 September – 3 October 2018.
We are going with a highly-regarded company called Mercat International Tours who provide an exceptional experience for young people visiting the First World War battlefields of Ypres in Belgium and of the Somme in France.
Check out information about the Battlefields Experience at Mercat’s website:
On day one we travel from the school to Hull by coach, and then onto the overnight ferry to Zeebrugge. Days 2-4 are busy days of learning, visiting some of the most moving battlefields, cemeteries, museums and monuments. During day 5 we visit the beautiful city of Bruges where pupils can relax and explore the famous medieval old town and see the picturesque canals. Day 6 is the remainder of the return journey.
The full itinerary can be found here …. itinerary
Pupils rave about the Battlefields trip. It is a real experience and many of them talk about the impact it has on them, and the feeling of being connected to the past. The trip is open to pupils of all years, whether or not they are taking history. There is also an additional academic benefit to those who end up studying the period in third or fourth year.
The cost of the trip is £495. Assuming you can provide a packed lunch for the bus journey down, this sum covers every expense, including meals, accommodation, entry charges and travel expenses by bus and by overnight ferry. A small sum of spending money for the free day in Bruges is nice to have.
If you are at all interested, or have any questions, please contact Mr Bratt ASAP on:
Any new S5/S6 pupil interested in work experience at GSK from September should apply now. The deadline for WE applications to GSK is August 18th but pupils should try where possible to ensure they are submitted to the school office by the end of this term as we do not want anyone to miss out on this opportunity. For further information please see Mrs Fyfe, Mr Dunbar or your PT PCS.
GSK work experience :
- GSK are running 2 five week work experience sessions commencing September 2017.
- ·The attached form gives a brief explanation of each work experience session, and a little about the roles in the Department that the student will visit.
- ·The sessions will run on Wednesday afternoons, typically 13:00 -16:00, but this timing can be adjusted if there are travel issues.
- Week 1 is an induction session and site tour for all successful applicants.
- Week 2, 3, 4, are separate workplace sessions ( with the exception of Quality Labs who will only run sessions for 2 of these 3 weeks).
- Week 5 is used for “mock interviews” to give the candidates interview experience.
- The above process is then repeated for a further 5 weeks.
- All application forms are to be returned to GSK by 18-Aug-2017.
- This will allow 2 weeks for GSK Montrose to feedback to the schools regarding the successful candidates, prior to the work experience starting in early September.
- If you have any questions or require more information then please contact Kevin Brewer (Schools Liaison Team – GSK) on email@example.com
Our S1 IDL Classes organised a Community afternoon in the School Library to tell people what we have been learning in the IDL Community Course. We invited family and friends to give feedback on our presentations. Our focus has been on 3 skills: creating, presenting and working together. We got 4 speakers to come into our school and talk to us about what they do in the community. Our thanks to the Links Park Community Trust, The Montrose Air Museum, The Montrose Basin and The Montrose Golf Club. The atmosphere was good and it was a success.
On Tuesday 21st March, 50 pupils represented Montrose Academy at the Angus schools cross country championships at Monikie Country Park. First up were the S1 girls running round a blustery course. The S1 boys race saw a lot of tired legs from the previous day’s PCS 7-a-side football tournament, but they managed to secure the team bronze medal. On to the S2 girls – where we stole a clean sweep of gold (Melissa Coul), silver (Orla McLeod) & bronze (Darcey Reid) in this event, and along with Ciara Walker, there was no competition for the team gold in this age group. Bethany Hall in S3 was our next medallist, taking the gold for the third year running, followed by Emma Hayes taking the bronze medal in the senior boys. Alastair Campbell finished the running off in style, easily taking the senior boys title, making this the fourth consecutive year he has won the competition! Well done to all who took part!